Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Hunnn-eeey...!

We live in a very small house. Like, small enough that I can let two pugs and a pit bull out the back door while simultaneously changing Lili's diaper upstairs and folding laundry in the basement. Thankfully, we all have impeccable hygiene, happen to love each other very much, and don't mind cohabiting in such close quarters. One of the benefits (or pitfalls, actually, depending on the scenario) of having two adults, a toddler, and three dogs living in an approximately 800-square foot house is that no one is ever beyond shouting range. Well, except maybe Hektor, but that's really more of a personality flaw than anything related to his home life.

In the evenings, Lili and I usually hang out upstairs, doing chores or pilfering Mommy's jewelry boxes, while Mamarella makes a tasty yet nutritious dinner. If Mama needs something from me (or vice versa), we'll usually just give a "Honey!" shout-out from the first or second level. The other evening, for whatever reason (probably something to do with destroying the refrigerator magnets or the insatiable desire to drag a full gallon of milk across the kitchen floor) Lili was downstairs with Mama while I was upstairs. Suddenly, I heard the faint chimes of "MommyMommyMommyMommy", which became increasingly louder as Lili approached the bottom of the stairs. Waiting for either the final Mommy plea or the tiny grunts of effort as she began pulling herself up the stairs, I stood just inside the bedroom door and listened.

Nothing.

Followed shortly by the tinny voice of a little babe...."Hunnn-eeey...!"

When all else fails, my genius girl reverts to pet names. Brilliant.

1 comment:

Rebecca Anne Moss said...

She is a fraking genius. You will have your hands full staying ahead of her learning curve.