Monday, December 14, 2009

Mama Monday

During the course of a normal week, Mama Monday is comprised of early morning play time in the crib, catching up on recent episodes of Dinosaur Train (Mama is already mentally planning her first summer paleo-dig with Lili), soccer ball chasing (and kicking), wrestling in the mom's bed, and, perhaps, a little Executive Director work thrown in for good measure. As any Midwest babe can attest, Minnesota winters are no friend to a toddler, and Mama and Lil tend to hunker down at home during their day together. Which is why I was...surprised...when Mama announced that this particular Mama Monday would be spent:
  • taking Hektor to the vet for his shots
  • attempting to eat lunch out together, someplace other than the Starbucks drive-thru
  • hitting up the REI indoor activity center and purchasing some hard core winter boots for Mama
  • a myriad of other activities, potentially, but I'm still reeling from "taking Hektor to the vet for his shots" and inevitably tuned out the rest of the day's activities
Much in the same way Mama was scared to talk directly to Lili during her first few days home with us (diaper changes, baths, and onesie changing sessions were conducted in complete and utter silence while I rested in the next room), they have somehow managed to spend the first 19 months of Lili's life never intentionally eating a meal together outside the home. Unless you count the park, or Mama's "reserved" park bench at Lake Harriet (which I don't, really, since geese and squirrels don't tend to elicit the same rageful looks as restaurant patrons during the throes of a temper tantrum over "HOT! HOT!" chicken nuggets). And, given that Mama hasn't made an appointment for anything other than happy hour in the past 15 years, much less organized a field trip that departs the house before 2:30 in the afternoon, I couldn't help but laugh when Mama mentioned that she had a) made an appointment (gasp!) b) would be proactively taking an animal to the vet for shots, and c) that she and Lili would then be spending the afternoon shopping. Huh? It felt rude to laugh, until Mama said "I know...it's funny, right?"

Godspeed, my sweet girls (and little man). I have no doubt your chaotic selves will be the highlight of Minnehaha Animal Hospital's week.

3 comments:

mama said...

After Hektor spent his time in the away-from-everyone waiting room due to his incesant barking, and Lili spent the first twenty minutes in the vet's office screaming (at Hektor), the vet said "she is very verbal isn't she?" It only seemed fair that I should keep my own decibal level to a minimum and my answers short. "Yes, my dog is acting fine and drinking and eating like normal...now let me get out of here please."

mama said...

After Hektor spent his time in the away-from-everyone waiting room due to his incesant barking, and Lili spent the first twenty minutes in the vet's office screaming (at Hektor), the vet said "she is very verbal isn't she?" It only seemed fair that I should keep my own decibal level to a minimum and my answers short. "Yes, my dog is acting fine and drinking and eating like normal...now let me get out of here please."

Nana said...

Well done all around, and now you are on your way! And Nana and Papa are working very hard, and having great fun!