Sunday, January 10, 2010

Mom-cation, Day 3: We Now Return to Our Regularly Scheduled Program

Fingers crossed, knock on wood, and all that jazz, I've stayed fairly healthy all winter. Which is something of a challenge (and accomplishment), given the approximately 41,852 people I cohabitate with during normal business hours at the state's largest University, as well as the questionable state of both the 18 and 152 bus routes. Apparently not everyone utilizing public transit in urban Minneapolis received the "Cover Your Cough" memo. Or the less common, but equally as important, "I'm Wearing an iPod Less for the Music and More Because I'd Rather Not Chit-Chat About Your Weekend" memo. Interestingly, both of my primary care physicians (regular and...lady) were recently named top doctors in the latest edition of Minneapolis/St. Paul magazine, so I give them a well-deserved round of applause for helping to keep the annual cold and flu season at bay.

At any rate.

Given that Mama and I haven't been on vacation together since *well* before the birth of our darling babe, it seems only fitting that I would develop a sore throat, watery chest, and raking cough our second night in the city. It was tempting to curl up under the downy covers, order some over-priced omelets and mimosas, and spend the day watching reruns of "Dog the Bounty Hunter", but I was determined to take full advantage of Lili's stay at Casa de Nana et Papa. Aside from my nightly regimen of vitamins and supplements, I'm not really one to partake in over-the-counter medication, but I threw back of couple of Mucinex, bundled up, and we headed out to enjoy another misty winter day in the Windy City (Mucinex, by the way, is amazing. I may start downing one with my evening cocktail, just for kicks).


 
The Brown Line, where I managed to successfully get Mama aboard public transportation for the first time in almost 8 years. Hand sanitizer was in full effect.



Destination: Armatage neighborhood. Our lovely hotel concierge steered us in the direction of Armatage, after I asked for guidance regarding independently owned stores (not that I don't love me some Macy's...).




Outside looking in: ridiculously overpriced, insanely adorable baby goods store. Thankfully, Lili has long since outgrown the dangerous 0-6 month clothing phase.



Mucinex and hand sanitizer aside, Armatage was good to us. We enjoyed hot tea from the corner tea shop, contemplated Chicago real estate possibilities, and were charmed by a local gay boy with the catchprase of "Oh, mercy". As of Day 3, still no Chicago lesbian sightings, although Mama was referred to as "sir". Again.


6 comments:

mama said...

I still secretly like the way it felt to let that hostess squirm after I called her on it.

aboutfulness said...

I'm totally, amazingly shocked. But I hope you still love Chicago.

Mommy said...

We heart Chicago. It is clear, however, that the gays neither reside in nor visit downtown.

Nana said...

Great trip for you, despite the "health" thing, and great times at Casa de Nana et Papa! And now Nana has Chicago looming on her horizon, and Armatage is on the list!

www.smellwhatimcookin.com said...

if you were on Armitage in Lincoln Park, you'd be lucky to see a pride sticker and most likley to have been flooded with VWs, BmWs and expensive retail..next time for sure head to Andersonville and Boys town..Boys town has these huge structures with pride rings at the top along Broadway, its amazing..and of course bars with crafty (or not so crafty) names like Bangcock and The Manhole..lets not forget "shower night" at Spin!

Mommy said...

Thanks, Donielle! We will hit up Boys Town and Andersonville next time we're in Chicago. Nothing says "vacation" like shower night at a gay bar!