Sunday, September 18, 2011

Back to School

Or, in our case, starting school for the first time ever in the history of the world! More on that later, but in the meantime, I wanted to share some crafting creativity for all the other back-to-schoolers out there. When I was growing up, my mom (Nana) always made a point to sneak something special into my lunchbox or backpack, especially when I was starting at a new school or going through a difficult transition. Those little notes and cards didn't seem like much at the time, but I realize now that they made a huge difference during my day, providing a tangible reminder of and connection to my home and the people that loved me. In that spirit, and because Mama and I have NO IDEA how Lili will do with *this* big transition, I've whipped up a little sprinkling of love that she can carry with her throughout the day, courtesy of Curly Birds.

Mason jars, colorful felt, and some blanket stitches. Pretty much my most favorite things.

Here's hoping that a little stuffed heart slipped in to a coat pocket will allow for some major back to school ease. And serve as soft reminder that Mommy and Mama's love is always within reach.

On a different crafting/homemaking note, I *finally* found suitable decor for above our oven. I've tried a number of options, thus far, all of which were a little...off. Enter...Leslie Graff. I came across her Domestic Series and totally fell in love. They speak not only to my obsession with well-ironed sheets, half-aprons, and high heels. but also art that portrays the (perceived) subservient nature of female identity. And what better place to start a dialogue around the post-modern exploration of domestic life than while standing at the stove, I say! Thank you, Leslie Graff, for solving another one my many first world problems. Let the cooking commence (I'm looking at you, Mama).

Hawt.

No comments: