
1. Lili's favorite drinking apparatus is a hot pink baby Nalgene from Aunt Heather and Aunt Katie. Said bottle claims to be BPA-free, but has the dreaded #7 recycling symbol imprinted on the bottom. I spend far, far too much time contemplating how to proceed with this situation.
2. One of Lili's favorite sleeping positions is on her back, with both arms flung above her head. We call this position the "Tito Don't Shoot". I don't know, either.
3. Speaking of sleeping, Lili often wakes up in the morning or from a nap with fuzzy bed head. When she was younger, this often caused her to resemble a baby orangutan in a National Geographic special. In honor of her primate heritage, the moms refer to this look as Lili's "ook ook hair".
4. Lili was due on Cinco de Mayo. Despite the fact that she didn't arrive until eight (very long) days later, I'm considering a "chips and salsa" theme for her ensuing birthday celebrations. Margaritas may also be involved.
5. Lili has a tiny, raspberry shaped birthmark on her left thigh. Interestingly, my aunt has a similar birthmark, also on her thigh.
6. Like most Tauri, Lili is an extremely tactile individual. One of her favorite (if not THE favorite) activities is to sit and carefully rub an object between her tiny, tiny fingers. This works especially well with tags and tissue paper.
7. Lili has perhaps had 5 ounces of formula since her birth. Otherwise, she has been exclusively breast fed. We are both inordinately proud of this fact.
8. One of the great joys of my life is Lili's glorious, uninhibited, big belly laugh.
9. I sometimes wonder if Lili has difficulty hearing because of the treasure trove of wax that seems to always be present in her little ears. She may have a career in the candle making industry.
10. When Lili was just a few months old, her Mama would fashion a canopy of leaves and branches to hang over the top of Lili's stroller while they chillaxed outside. I often think this is part of the reason why nothing calms Lili like the outdoors.
11. Lili has a number of inside jokes with herself. This is evident in the secret smiles and frequent chuckles while she sleeps.
12. For better or for worse, Lili has never taken a pacifier.
13. Electrical outlets, extension cords, and mobile phones are just a few of Lili's lifelong passions.
14. Lili never stops moving, except maybe to sleep. Even then, we will often find her on the opposite side of the crib in the morning from the side she fell asleep on. Nursing sessions and diaper changes are akin to wrestling a feral cat in to a paper bag. Secretly, I find it kind of endearing.
15. The day after Lili was born, and our second night in the hospital, I allowed myself to be convinced that Lili should be taken to the nursery so I could sleep for a few hours. Recalling the guilt I felt upon waking and realizing Lili wasn't there next to me, and the seemingly endless trek down the hospital hallway to fetch her from the nursery, still makes my heart ache. I hope she will forgive me someday.
16. Lili is currently the youngest member of the Loring Park Cafe Society.
17. Lili and her moms, for all intents and purposes, did not leave the house for the first four weeks of Lili's life. I am certain the domestic bubble we created for our daughter helped form her in to the confidant and curious babe she is today.
18. Carrots are Lili's favorite food. Bar none.
19. Lili very much enjoys being sung to at night, but only if it's Mama, and only if she's singing Bob Marley.
20. We have three dogs. They may as well have not existed the first six weeks of Lili's life. On the seventh week, she woke up, watched all three of them skitter across the room on their way outside, and started giggling. She gets a kick out of them to this day.
21. Lili owns a $28 bottle of lotion. I could attempt to justify this travesty by pointing out that this particular brand of lotion is the only one to have scored a zero with Skin Deep, the cosmetic safety database, but the fact remains--Lili owns a $28 bottle of lotion.
22. More than one person has mentioned that it looks like Lili might have a strawberry-blondish tint to her hair. This observation sends Mama in to a blind rage.
23. Peek-a-boo in the full-length nursery mirror is one of Lili's favorite games. Unless you put something on her head, in which case she glimpses herself in the mirror and starts crying. Nana made this discovery a few weeks ago. Mama confirmed it a few days later.
24. We are currently on the edge of our seats, waiting for Lili's first tooth to make its debut. I hope this initial tardiness means she will never require braces.
25. Lili has the two luckiest, most blissfully entertained moms in the world.






3 comments:
Such a great list. The bond between you three is so special. Thanks for sharing. Lili will love reading it when she is old enough. Now I want to make one for my kitties. Do you think that is weird?
I say go for it. Kitties have things to share, too.
How I continue to love reading your most unique and poetic views on life, Lili, and everything around you. I have said since you were a teen-ager that you should publish. Lili is so lucky to grow up with her two talented and creative and full of life moms.
Post a Comment