Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Shan-tastic

We really mixed it up for Mommy's birthday this year. Rather than the traditional "fancy-dinner-at-over-priced-restaurant-with friends" fete, I opted to ring in 31 with an early February expedition to a very white, very frozen, and very wind-chilly Medicine Lake, for the annual Art Shanty Projects. Ideally, my birthday would be in late July, the sun would be shining, and Lili and I would wile the day away on the shores of Lake Harriet while Mama served us fresh chips and guacamole, margaritas, and ice cold milk on the rocks. In an effort to embrace my Aquarian roots, however, I made a conscious effort to think outside the birthday box this year, even if it meant spending the day outside. In February. In Minnesota. After all, what kind of role model would I be for my little babe if I, too, couldn't embrace (and even encourage) the improbable. Even now, at the ripe old age of 31.

 Yep. That's pretty cold.

Our first stop. The Dance Shanty, as guarded by Leo the Lion. Even with layer upon layer of winter clothing, it was difficult to escape the familiar smell of dance fever. Lili was particularly mesmerized by the costumed Bigfoot, grooving away under the thumping stereo. 


You're never too young for cribbage lessons but, unfortunately, the older generation prevailed in staking out seats at the Euchre Shanty. Better luck to us next year.


 
My favorite shanty. Blackboard on the outside, magnetic word walls on the inside. Lili left her chalky mark (with Mama's help, natch).




Winter sauna. Doubt it.


The Tiny Shanty. Tiny windows, tiny mailbox, and tiny teacups full of hot cocoa. Perfect for tiny babes with big hearts.


 


 
Dollface. Happy birthday to me, indeed.






No comments: