Thursday, December 11, 2008

Peace Out, Morning Show



I grew up listening to The Morning Show with Dale and Jim Ed on MPR. Okay, I’m admittedly being a little fast and loose with the phrase “grew up”, but I have been tuning in to 91.1…and then 89.3…during the morning hours for over a decade. We relocated to Minneapolis the summer before my freshman year of high school, and somehow, as though she’d been implanted with a public radio homing device, Nana (Mommy’s mommy) began picking up and transmitting The Morning Show throughout our little tudor house. I stumbled out of bed on Monday mornings to “When the Prairie Sun Climbs Out of the Hay”, danced across the kitchen floor to “Waltzing with Bears” and, years later, serenaded Penelope with “My Little Penelican” (an updated version of the popular Morning Show song “My Little Potato”). Today, Dale and Jim Ed did a final broadcast from the Fitzgerald Theater in St. Paul, and I’m left to wonder what will be the soundtrack to Lili’s mornings as she gets older and, eventually, establishes her own “getting ready for school” routine. Perhaps a little Radio Heartland, as produced by Sir Dale Connelly? Unfortunately, that would require an upgrade to HD radio (that's "hi-def", folks), and given that her moms have yet to advance beyond basic cable, poor Lil may be left in a lurch. At the very least, she’ll have the soothing sounds of decaf brewing, eggs scrambling, and dog claws scritch-scratching across the floor. And while it may not be "Lime Jell-O, Marshmallow, Cottage Cheese Surprise," I hope she finds the early morning sounds of her home to be a similar comfort.

2 comments:

mama said...

Cute. I am sad that I missed the opportunity to request a song for Lili on her first birthday. I had secretly always wanted to do that for my someday daughter.

...I think you know I slept too late to hear the last morning show broadcast.

Ideas for Lili's soundtrack (based on how we spend some mornings):
1)Dancing to Beyonce
2)Making Egg McMama's
3)Sneaking in a bit of Days of Our Lives

Rebecca Anne Moss said...

I have strong memories of my dad waking us up early in the morning and listening to the radio he had playing in the bathroom. I don't remember the hosts of the programs so much - they were more news and talk than music - but there were two commercials that I can channel quite well to this day.

One was "Would you like to fly in my beautiful balloon" which had been a popular song and now served as the backdrop for a pitch for some service or other - I can't remember what. The other was "At Beneficial, toot toot, you're good for more, (repeat twice more), we'd like to talk about, the full amount, you have in mind..." Obviously a loan commercial, and didn't they do a good job of name retention.

Just thinking about this brings me back to a very specific time in my childhood. I'm sure Lili will have something similar and it will be fun to see what that is.