Monday, December 15, 2008

A Very Peacock Christmas

Since her arrival in this world seven months ago, Lili’s most trusted ally and confidant, not to mention constant car seat companion, has been a little fellow named Jacques. Jacques the Peacock, to be exact.


From the moment her blurry newborn eyes could make out the distinctive black and white patterns on Jacques’ backside, to months later, when her developing fine motor skills allowed her to delicately caress his crinkle wings, Jacques instilled Lili with one of the greatest skills new parents could ask for—the ability to self soothe. Jacques has rescued us from many a public meltdown, and for that the moms are forever indebted to both him and the Lamaze toy company. So imagine my delight when, this weekend, Mama and I stumbled across a beautiful, hand-blown glass peacock Christmas ornament. I’ve been on the prowl for a non-Hallmark, non-“Baby’s First Christmas”, non-photo frame Christmas ornament to commemorate Lil's first holiday season. And while the original Jacques will have long since been retired when she spends her first holiday season away from home, Lili will always have a commemorative peacock ornament, and a story about gazing adoringly into Jacques’ google eyes, to remind her of Christmas.

3 comments:

Kezaezy said...

I love this story.

Nana said...

Jacques has indeed been a big part of Lili's precious young life, and what a wonderful commemoration, not only of him but of Lili's first Christmas with us! I can't wait to see the ornament that I know will have a place of honor on your trees for many years to come. And of course your story was so beautifully written....Nana love to all.

mama said...

Oh Jaques. Sweet, sweet jaques.